Sunday, January 27, 2008

Gone

In Peace, Elvin

People with bipolar disorder are at great risk for suicide if they are not getting treatment. The National Mental Health Association reports that 30%-70% of suicide victims have suffered from a form of depression. Men commit almost 75% of suicides, even though twice as many women attempt it.

It's not that I dwell on those facts. It's just that they hover over my thoughts daily while I struggle to keep my family well.

About the picture: I do not know Elvin Smith. I took the picture of his memorial wreath at the entry way of a local Wal-Mart. I suppose his co-workers displayed the marker to remember him. It seemed strange to see this in a place so all about consuming and exchanging and daily life. While I took this photo the alarm went off when someone exited the store with a high dollar item and the little security thing hadn't been deactivated. Chaos. And there was Elvin looking surprised. (Kathryn)

No comments: