Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Bifocals and Children's Books

Tuesday the eye doctor told me I needed bifocals (moment of silence for this next step in getting older). Katee also needed new glasses so I did not splurge on the no-line bifocals because I'm cheap even though my vanity really outweighs my cheapness but my brokeness outweighs my vanity (... rock, paper, scissors...).

That same day I went to Betty's Books and bought six children's books: Junie B. Jones, The Boxcar Children and Encyclopedia Brown.

I took Junie B. Jones and the Stupid Smelly Bus to work. I've never thought about putting a cover on any book I've ever read but as I got out of the van I thought "maybe I should've covered these in brown paper..."

On the other hand, you gotta love a book that's only 69 pages long and contains paragraphs like "The bus made a big roar. Then a big puff of black smelly smoke came out of the back end of it. It's called bus breath, I think."

My new glasses with their little lines in the lenses will be ready next week. They are, however, encased in a stylish black and pink plastic frame, almost as swell as my first pair of cat's eye frames with their little sparkly rhinestones. (Kathryn)

1 comment:

BigAssBelle said...

ugh. glasses. we just paid over $700 WITH INSURANCE!!! ~ a pair for him and one for me. criminy, so freakin expensive.

funny, i went almost all the way back to my first pair with a little cat-eye looking thing in black and red :-)