Monday, November 13, 2006

Off Grid

i'd like to live off the grid. buy a yurt. stick it on some dirt.

but the thing is my house will be paid off in three years. and there's all this crap i'd have to pack. i'd probably have to give up the computer and use an old manual typewriter.

and it could get stinky. i have outhouse experience through my mother's side of the family.

so. instead. i made a pot of black beans.

and sewed a winter cap out of the sleeve of a cotton sweater that was headed for Goodwill. let me make this clear -- i don't shop at Goodwill because i can't afford their high falutin' prices. i buy from church rummage sales.

i have wooden pallets that i'm turning into compost piles so i can make beds. perhaps plant a fig tree. although i don't know if i like figs. i like chocolate. maybe i'll plant some cocoa beans.

i did always want to live in a commune but i was born too late to be a part of that 60's scene so now i just don't shave my legs. although. i do shave my face because i don't want some long hangy whisker to be waving at folks. (Kathryn)

4 comments:

Crazy In Shreveport said...

Nifty-cool. You and Michael giving me the thumbs up --- I'm honored. Thank you for cheering me on.

Sarah said...

wait wait wait are you serious about not shaving your legs?? i'm brazilian, that's like, sinful to us:)

anyhoo, Katee: don't fuss too much about flunking your driving test, I flunked mine too (due to an excessive panic attack in the midst of a parallel parking - dropped the cone and all - big disaster)

you'll laugh about it later.

BUT here's the thing, these days they'll fail anyone, simply because they want more money (here you have to pay 100 buck to reschedule another test..)

anyway, you're a revenclaw so next time just look at the bitchy lady next to you and go for it. Is the test with a stick-geared car or automatic???

I'm a gryffindor btw

JaneDoughnut said...

Fascinating blog. I hope you don't mind a stranger like myself dropping by.

I know I'll never get off the grid, being a city girl at heart, but I would love to at least grow my own food, be a little more independent. You know, for when the apocalypse comes. ;)

Crazy In Shreveport said...

Sarah -- lol. I'm picturing you living in a city with stores on every corner that specialize in waxing -- kind of like we have fast food joints on every corner.

doughnutjane -- feel free to stop by and comment or not anytime. we lub company.

Kathryn