Sunday, November 05, 2006

writer's block.

I am trying so very hard to get my creativity back. I haven't actually written anything that's not a blog entry in months. I don't do poetry well at all, so I can't just write a few verses down and be content with it. I absolutely cannot wait for this semester to be done with so that I can do Christmas-y things, and also write about love and such. Lately I've been feeling like my writing is just not as good as it used to be, and I think I've figured out why.

When I started writing, like really getting into it, I was very much into the flowery descriptions and incredibly detailed dialogue. Everything I wrote was quite melancholy and. . .well, "glittery" is the word that springs to mind. I suppose the reason I never finished anything was because I spent so much time figuring out the prettiest word to describe things. Whenever I read White Oleander by Janet Fitch, I always feel the need to make beautiful descriptions. I can do it rather well, but thinking about everything takes up too much time. Now when I write I try not to make things too complicated. If a metaphor that's beautiful and unique actually occurs to me without too much difficulty, I'll use it, but I really try to keep things from going on and on and on.

Maybe I'll write something about Christmas. Honestly, I have no ideas right now as I've been so busy with math. Numbers constantly floating around in my brain is not conducive to creativity for me, so it's just been hard to think of anything. Sigh. I'm going to try to sleep now, but everyone in my house seems to be coughing loudly, so possibly this won't happen for a while. Really, my mother sounds like a goddamned dragon. :( She needs to get some cough drops ASAP.

No comments: