Friday, November 10, 2006

oh god.

Well, of course it gets all hot and humid outside and a storm front thinks it's an awesome idea to move in and make things terrifying.

I don't like storms.

If you've already heard this story, move along. I wasn't scared of storms until the seventh grade. It was Easter Sunday, I'd gotten my basket full of chocolate-y goodness, and noticed that it was quite cloudy outside. And then the thunder started, and the lightning came around, and the wind picked up. Since it was April, and there's pretty much no such thing as spring around here, it was hot outside. As you can imagine, wind+rain+hot weather=omgwtfscary.

I was sent to the bathtub to wait out the very, very scary winds, and took along Posh (our poodle RIP), and all of my Britney Spears and NSYNC CDs and posters, which were very important things to keep with me, you see. I attempted to bring along Sparkles, but she wasn't having it, and chose to wait out the storm running around the house and scratching people who got too close. Eventually things quieted down and I felt it was safe to venture out of the bathroom. My parents, who are crazy, were standing out on the porch because it is obviously a good idea to stand outside during 70 mph winds. Duh.

I went back inside to call a friend to see if she'd escaped certain death, and she had. While chatting about something completely irrelevent, I'm sure, I heard a loud cracking noise, a scream, and a gigantic THUD! This did not sound good. I hung up with my friend, ran outside, and discovered my mother crying and also a forest had suddenly sprouted in our yard. Luckily, the GIANT HOMICIDAL TREE OF DESTRUCTION was on city property, and I observed the city workers clearing it out as I was leaving for school, trying not to get tree-ick all over my white Oxford shirt and plaid skirt I was forced to wear everyday. Lol @ Catholic schools actually having those.

I wasn't really all that freaked out by the tree falling. It hadn't fallen during the storm, either. There was about a 15 minute period after the straightline winds had disappeared and the tree fell, but I'm still pretty terrified of wind. And there wasn't a tornado where we are, but I know there were a few tornadoes in the area, so I suppose I relate tornadoes with the storm that made me terrified of storms in general.

Damn straightline winds.

The storm seems to have blown over for now, actually, and the freak lightning cloud of doom that I witnessed has gone off to the East, so maybe that's all the terror we'll get for the night. Hopefully. It seems to have cooled off a lot, too. I was outside smoking and attempting to read The Princess Diaries and started shivering. Such a good book. I'd like to read the entire series because I would like to be a princess, and since Prince William has gone and gotten engaged or something, I think reading about it is as close as I'm gonna get.

Unless, of course, some relative I don't know comes to inform me that I'm the sole heir to the throne in some little-known, very wealthy country that has very few tornadoes and lots of snow. That would be pretty peachy in my opinion.

No comments: