Thursday, September 28, 2006

Toting Water and Zombie Latrines



Had I read The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection From the Living Dead I would've had plenty of water in large covered containers to weather Charlie installing a new dishwasher and faucet.

But I hadn't so I didn't. I've been forced to tote water from the neighbor's outside faucet. I slosh a jiggly seven gallon trash can across her yard and up two sets of steps so we can flush the toilet. At least we haven't been forced to designate a corner of the backyard to serve as a latrine.

Washing dishes is a nightmare since everyone keeps using the real things thinking the dishwasher and faucet are almost finished. I've cleared Brookshires of their cheap gallons of water. Of course all the big pots are growing mold in the refrigerator so I can only heat up tiny amounts of water at a time.

I've lost count of how many days it's been since we've had real plumbing. If this siege of my kitchen doesn't end soon we'll have to follow the advice on page 91 of The Zombie Survival Guide: "Remain entertained!... keeping a positive mental attitude is essential. Find the natural entertainer in your group and encourage him or her to develop a routine of shows... Who's going to plan a talent show when hundreds of zombies are scrapping at the gates?... Someone who knows that a group of rattled angry, frustrated people are just as dangerous as the hundred of zombies scraping at the gates."

I guess we should count ourselve lucky since we have cable TV and I don't have to wield a machete on the way to water refills.


No comments: