Wednesday, August 30, 2006

C-R-A-C-K

Wee bit cooler weather means I've ventured out onto the porch again, 'cause I love me some porch sitting in the rocking chair.

Charlie and I sipped coffee while the wind the whipped, teasing us like rain might soon shower down. We heard this c-r-a-c-k and looked to the tall oak tree across the street. A branch loosened itself and fell to the ground.

Shades of Eudora Welty and A Curtain of Green: "...the shady street in front, and the blue automobile in which her husband approached, driving home from work...she could see again the tree that was going to fall...there was the enormous tree, the fragrant chinaberry tree, suddenly tilting, dark and slow like a cloud, leaning down to her husband..."

Unlike Welty's story no one died under our tree branch. After taking a couple of pictures, I tugged the thing up on the curb and then swept up the mess. We never did get any rain.

No comments: