Monday, August 21, 2006

Car Trouble

Slamming down I-20 to Bossier to take Katee to BPCC and day one of her math class we hit a bump and the van air conditioner went ka-put. "It was nice while it lasted," Katee said.

I maintained for the next couple of miles but kept an eye on the little thing that shows if your engine is over heating. Driving a vehicle with 200,000 plus miles, you just never know.

And that's just it. With me car trouble isn't just car trouble. It's all my failures pouring out before me. My brain goes into over-chatter-drive "If you just made more money, your car would be better, newer, bolder, stronger... you wouldn't be a loser..."

Katee went to class and I snuck* into the icebox cold library and scribbled on an editorial we are writing for The Shreveport Times. We made it back home with no AC but also no overheating. The gage stayed right where it should have. I just have one more thing to fix added to my list.


*for uppity college students who hate nonstandard English usage. Snuck is an Americanism introduced in the 19th entury as a nonstandard regional variant of sneaked. Widespread use of snuck has more common with every generation. Even authors are using it: "I ducked down behind the paperbacks and snuck out" (Garrison Keillor).

No comments: