Wednesday, July 05, 2006

storms, johnny cash, and cold fried chicken.

So, the fireworks thing didn't work out so much. We were getting ready to go, looked outside, and noticed that there were storm clouds of the apocalypse going on outside. See, I'm kind of deathly afraid of storms because one time, when I was twelve, there were straight-line winds and a tree fell in our yard. Not a little crepe myrtle-sized tree. Oh no, my friends, this was a giant tree that once resided in front of our neighbor's house. Our neighbors that live two houses down. When the lightning started, Daddy and I decided it would be better to go get fried chicken and watch a movie rather than risk certain death.

Of course, it didn't rain over here at all. Apparently it rained everywhere in the city, except where we live. What is that all about? Anyway, we meandered over to Church's chicken place and were vastly disappointed in the little meals we got. Cold chicken, cold mashed potatoes, and cold biscuits. It was quite sad. I was definitely looking forward to fried chicken. However, the night was saved when we settled down to watch Walk The Line. Joaquin Phoenix was lookin' fine as always, and Reese Witherspoon is my favorite person in the world ever ohmigosh. Their performances in the movie were lovely and I never realized how much I love Johnny Cash's music and am determined to find CDs that cost less that $25. Fuck you, Sam Goody.

My favorite scene is the part where June Carter gets all pissed off because the boys on the tour are acting like shitheads.

[These are not exact quotes, obviously]

The Boys: *sitting around in an auditorium, getting drunk while under the guise of rehearsing*
June: *walks in* STOP GETTING DRUNK WE ARE ON TOUR WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE WE HAVE A CONCERT IN A HOUR!
Johnny: *says something stupid and slightly offensive*
June: *walks back to the stage, picks up beer bottles, and starts chucking them at the boys*
Every dude on the stage: *dives behind something to get out of the way*
*Nothing*: Is more hilarious and awesome as that scene.
June: IMMATURE LITTLE SHITS I HATE YOU ALL, etc, etc, and then she says something about a being a Dutch boy and I can't stop giggling throughout the whole scene.

Also, I was beginning to think that June Carter was one stubborn chick. Seriously, y'all, Johnny asked her to marry him like seven trillion times and the whole time I'm like, "What is he gonna have to do, climb a mountain and chuck down a $5,000 diamond and white gold engagement ring?" All in all, quite an awesome movie. Joaquin was wonderful, and Reese was rockin', and they didn't butcher the accents and thank god for that because Reese was born Louisiana and if she'd done a shitty accent I would've been dumbfounded.

My mom bought four movies on Monday. The awesome part is that those four movies only cost us $20 all together. This is why you get the previously viewed movies, kids. We got Walk The Line, Brokeback Mountain (!!!), Sin City, and King Kong. Haven't watched any of the others. I've seen Sin City and it's deliciously awesome death scenes, King Kong is three hours and eight minutes long, so I'll have to devote like an entire day to that one, and Brokeback Mountain might not be a good movie to watch with the parents. And no, not because of the gay sex scene. It's the fact that there's a sex scene at all. I will walk out of the room when this occurs because good GOD, that's awkward.

It was a kind of boring Independence Day, but the people down the street had really good (i.e., expensive) fireworks, so I watched them from my porch. And any time I can watch a movie with Joaquin Phoenix being smokin' hot even when he looks rough is a good day for me. :D

[Oh, and the spell check recognized the name Joaquin, but it got confused when the word "y'all" came up. Ahhh, this spell-checker amuses me to no end.]

No comments: